Master’s program “Fundamental and Applied Chemistry of Substances and Materials”
Title/degree: Master’s of Science (MSc) in Chemistry
Duration: 2 years (120 EC), full-time
Start month: September
Language of instruction: Russian
Program code: 04.04.01
Department: Institute of Smart materials and technologies
WHY Fundamental and Applied Chemistry of Substances and Materials?
“Chemistry is more than science; this is a major part of world culture and civilization,
the most important element of sustainable development of society “–
Academician Anatoly L. Buchachenko.
Why do I choose this program?
Chemistry of the XXI century has become a gigantic branching science, gradually developed in the course of its long historical development. Modern chemistry is one of the most extensive areas of human knowledge; it plays an exceptionally important role in the development of various spheres of the world economy and in improving the quality of life of the population.
Today, chemistry, along with the independent development and blurring of the boundaries between different areas of one’s own knowledge, actively integrates with other natural sciences – biology, geology, physics, materials science, etc. Only a highly qualified specialist in the field can confidently navigate the variety of chemical science objects, fundamental and applied chemistry.
- How to apply theoretical knowledge, taking into account modern achievements and trends in chemical science?
- How to use the state-of-the-art scientific equipment in an efficient way?
- How can a man find his place in the modern chemical world and apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills in real life?
Actively developing chemical science, in all its forms and manifestations, from theory and laboratory practice to modern chemical production, gives the answers to these and many other questions
- actual problems of modern chemistry;
- spectral methods of material diagnostics;
- computer technologies in science and education;
- modeling of chemical reactions;
- physical chemistry of the surface of nanocomposite materials;
- professional English;
- Modern technological processes of SIBUR Holding
- Inorganic chemistry and chemistry of materials;
- Physical and chemical methods of analysis for the processes of analytical control, synthesis and research of substances and materials;
- Organic chemistry;
- Physical chemistry and photochemistry;
- Polymer chemistry and Petrochemistry;
- Physical and chemical methods of research in modern production facilities of SIBUR Holding.
- Chemical sciences
- Methods of teaching chemistry in higher education
- Quantum chemistry and quantum mechanics
- Statistical methods of experiment planning in chemistry
- Computer modeling of photonics of organic molecules
- Protection of intellectual property
|1st semester||2nd semester||3rd semester||4th semester|
|Core courses||20 EC||17 EC||12 EC|
|Elective Courses||4 EC||7 EC||6 EC|
|Thesis Research and Practice||6 EC||6 EC||12 EC||24 EC|
|Thesis Research & completion||6 EC|
Cadete Santos Aires F.J.
Institute of Researches on Catalysis and Environment in Lyon, head of Laboratory “Surface and Interface” (France)
The main field of scientific activity – physical chemistry of the surface of solids, heterogeneous catalysis and transmission microscopy.
Evgeniy A. Paukstis
Boreskov Institute of Catalysis of the SB RAS, (Novosibirsk)
The main field of scientific activity is optical spectroscopy in adsorption and catalysis.
Andrey V. Zibarev
Institute of Organic Chemistry SB RAS (Novosibirsk), Head of the Laboratory of Heterocyclic Compounds, member of the Royal Society of Chemistry, Great Britain.
Specialist in the field of chemistry of polyheteroatomic organic compounds, including derivatives with an open electron shell – neutral and charged radicals, and its applications in materials science and biomedicine.
Institute of Catalysis of the SB RAS, (Novosibirsk)
Institute of Inorganic Chemistry of the SB RAS, (Novosibirsk)
Institute of Organic Chemistry of the SB RAS, (Novosibirsk)
Institute of Petroleum Chemistry of the SB RAS, (Tomsk)
Department of Chemistry, Moscow State University (Moscow)
Institute of Researches on Catalysis and Environment in Lyon (France)
Leiden University (The Netherlands)
Current projects implemented in the TSU on the basis of the Chemical Faculty (chem.tsu.ru):
“Complex study of the processes of obtaining, structural characteristics and functional properties of new sorption and optically active materials of inorganic, organic and organo-inorganic substances and materials”.
The aim of the project: development of new fundamental approaches for obtaining environmentally friendly sorption and optically active inorganic, organic and organo-inorganic substances and materials by low-temperature methods.
Students are engaged in:
– development of compositions based on oxide systems of II-IV group elements and investigation of low-temperature production of inorganic, organic and organo-inorganic substances and materials possessing sorption and optical properties;
– research of physicochemical regularities and mechanisms of sorption of sorbents on the basis of silicon dioxide, modified by intracomplex compounds of d-elements, luminescent materials based on aluminate of alkaline earth metals and photosensitive materials based on tin monoxide.
“Controlling the reactivity of catalysts on the basis of understanding the mechanisms of the joint action of active centers of metal nanoparticles and redox oxides”.
The aim of the project is to develop approaches to the management of the catalytic activity of “metal nanoparticle/redox-oxide” compositions by providing the required strength of the bond between the active components (metal nanoparticles and “red-ox” active oxide) and their predetermined distribution on the carrier surface (in the deposited compositions).
Master’s students are researchers in the project and resolve real production tasks.
“Catalysts of new geometric forms on the basis of layered spheres with a regulated chemical composition”.
Within the framework of this project, it is planned to form the scientific basis for the purposeful synthesis of functional bis-like materials of a complex hierarchical structure with a regulated composition, using the example of spherical layered oxidation catalysts using sol-gel technology for the production of polynuclear complexes of titanium, silicon and d-metals, and to establish the relationships between the conditions for obtaining the compositions , their catalytic activity, physico-chemical properties and surface organization.
Master’s students are researchers in the project and resolve real production tasks.
“Development of physical and chemical basis for the formation of thin-layer radio-absorbing in the terahertz frequency range of nanostructured metal-ceramic coatings in the microplasma regime in electrolyte solutions”, performed within the framework of the state task of the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation in 2017-2019.
The work is aimed at developing methods for the formation of materials that are nanostructured coatings, including double-layered ones, with a predetermined distribution of magnetic active particles absorbing electromagnetic radiation in the terahertz frequency range containing magnetic active particles in the form of iron and ferrite in the inner layer and iron-molybdenum spinel in the outer layer , as well as magnetic active particles in the form of iron and ferrite in the inner layer and ferromanganese spinel in the outer layer.
Master’s students are researchers in the project and solve realproduction tasks.
Admission and application
1) assessment of their prior knowledge; 2) Motivation letter or Letters of Recommendation; 3) Interview with the program Director (personally or remotely using Skype). Tuition fee can be waived (and scholarshipis available) for 25 students (state-funded places). However, only the following students can apply: 1) bachelor’s students (having BA or BS) and 2) graduates of who are Russian (USSR) CIS citizensand who completed 5-yr education before Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees were introduced in Russia. Other categories, as well as present 5-yr students must pay the tuition fee Tuition fees Application deadlines for the citizens of the Russian Federation and CIS in 2018 year Deadline Application deadlines for the other International citizens in 2018 year Beginning of application Deadline Start Deadline To participate in the interview, please fill out a registration form on the program website: http://cs.tsu.ru
Bachelor’s degree (BS) in Chemistry (or one of programs listed below) Specialist diploma).
Undergraduate level (BS) completed in
B.S. or B.A. in Chemistry, Physics (for the Chemical Physics emphasis) or related undergraduate major.
Relevant working experience is an advantage, but can be waived
other admission requirements
Students will be selected on the basis of:
Citizens of the Russian Federationand CIS countries
Other International Citizens
125 500 RUB
150 600 RUB
Beginning of application
April, 3rd –
Terms of entrance examinations
May, 10th –
Deadlines for foreign citizens who require a visa for entry and stay in the Russian Federation.
Terms of entrance examinations for foreign citizens who require a visa for entry and stay in Russia
January, 16th –
Deadline of acceptance of applications for consent to enrollment
February, 1st –
February, 2nd –
1) assessment of their prior knowledge;
2) Motivation letter or Letters of Recommendation;
3) Interview with the program Director (personally or remotely using Skype).
Tuition fee can be waived (and scholarshipis available) for 25 students (state-funded places). However, only the following students can apply:
1) bachelor’s students (having BA or BS) and
2) graduates of who are Russian (USSR) CIS citizensand who completed 5-yr education before Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees were introduced in Russia.
Other categories, as well as present 5-yr students must pay the tuition fee
Application deadlines for the citizens of the Russian Federation and CIS in 2018 year
Application deadlines for the other International citizens in 2018 year
Beginning of application
To participate in the interview, please fill out a registration form on the program website: http://cs.tsu.ru
Career and prospects
Graduates of the program are self-sufficient and are in demand. They are fast, have deep knowledge of chemistry and research skills, able to make proposals for the development of work, know how to present the results of research.
These skills allow them to continue their education in graduate school in Chemistry or successfully work in research institutes, institutions of higher professional education, at chemical industry enterprises.
Apply Right Now!
If you want to know more about the program, please contact:
Liudmila Mishenina(program manager)
Academic office: TSU Building № 6, office 107